The Guildhall School of Music & Drama is one of the world’s leading conservatoires and drama schools, offering musicians, actors, stage managers and theatre technicians an inspiring environment in which to develop as artists and professionals.
The school is a global leader of creative and professional practice and promotes innovation, experiment and research. Selected as one of the top ten institutions for performing arts in the world (QS World University Rankings 2016) and the top-rated conservatoire in the Guardian University Guide 2017 league table for music, it has over 900 students in higher education, drawn from nearly 60 countries around the world. The school is also the UK’s leading provider of specialist music training at the under-18 level with nearly 2,500 students in Junior Guildhall and the Centre for Young Musicians.
With a large investment in physical infrastructure the school was starting to see constraints:
1. Using storage on premise.
2. Back up windows were running over days instead of hours.
3. Server deployments could not be completed.
4. Development and training environments had to be reduced to free up compute.
The initial step was to connect the on-premise data centre via VPN to Amazon Web Services. As a result:
1. Limited storage was overcome by leveraging Amazon S3 Buckets for archiving.
2. We accelerated back ups into the cloud through AWS Virtual Tape Libraries.
3. Development and training environments could be provisioned in hours instead of the typical weeks.
Using Amazon S3 Buckets the school was able to transition its large compliance overhead and archive TBs of data on AWS. They also transitioned to Amazon Glacier for longer storage needs.
Spinning up compute instances is no longer a headache. With the use of VPN these instances are also available in house and take the strain off the physical compute architecture.
Compliance need not cost the earth, back ups and archiving to the cloud is cost effective. Well documented security architectures mean Guildhall is benefiting from a secure and scalable cloud deployment.